- Povidone Iodine Solution - 4 oz. squeeze bottle for application to navel
- 10 Wet Ones - antiseptic towelettes (Travel Pak)
- Dr. Smith's own Herbal Healing Salve (all organic ingredients) : Beeswax, olive oil, calendula, chamomile, comfrey, echinacea, chickweed, thyme, tea tree oil, and naturally acquired Vitamin E. *Good for mare, foal, and rider!
- 2 Clean, white, 100% cotton, shop-size towels
- 1 4" roll Syr-Vet cohesive flexible bandage for mare's tail
- 2 pair vinyl gloves
- 2 shoulder length vinyl gloves
- 5" Heavy Duty veterinary thermometer with case & pocket clip. Fahrenheit & Celcius
- Stainless steel forceps
- Orange Fleet Enema. (She only recommends a mineral oil-base product for newborns, not water/saline.)
- Blunt-tipped scissors, Stainless blades with cushion grip. For both left & right-handed persons
- "Ivory" Liquid
- Calibrated measuring cup for washing mare/milking mare
- Evenflo baby bottle & nipple
- Sterile lubricant
- Cord for tying-off navel
- One garbage bag for placenta
- Not Pad
- Pen & Pencil
- BONUS: Instructional information from the American Association of Equine Practitioners titled, "Foaling Mare And Newborn, Preparing for a Safe And Successful Foal Delivery"
- Recommended reading list on foaling
About Dr. Smith . . .
Dr. Alaire Smith, D.V.M., of Canton, PA., has been an equine veterinarian for 17 years and an avid rider for 30 years. She is an active member of the American Association of Equine Practitioners as well as other professional veterinary organizations and is in clinical practice. She has worked for breeding farms, been a track Vet, and still ventures out to various locations across this beautiful country of ours to be entrusted with pre-purchase veterinary exams. She is proud to stand her own registered stallion, Selos, at her farm for very limited breedings. She enjoys working with weanlings and is blessed to have spent valuable time with Ray Hunt.
She has put together this basic barn Equine Foaling Medical Kit, the EquiFoaling Kit, after many years of practical clinical experience, feeling it would be helpful to have these items on hand when your mare foals.
"I have been on many foalings (too many to mention!) and have had numerous foals born at our farm in our own breeding program. I have pulled together what I believe as 'necessary' items into one handy kit to have close by when your mare foals. . .It's nice to have these Foaling items nearby in case you need any of all of them."
As always, discuss these foaling items with your Veterinarian. The EquiFoaling Kit is intended to be used by adults.
More About Contents
All of the supplies in the EquiFoalingKit which are dated have long expiration dates.
All other contents are purchased and supplied to the kits fresh, such as the Latex Nitrile exam and shoulder gloves, batteries for the flashlight, and including the SyrVet Cohesive bandage. (This is important because these contain a natrual rubber latex product and can break down over time and not be as useful.)
She makes small, fresh batches of her Herbal Healing Salve for use in the kits, and this will have a shelf life of about 2 years.
All the items in the EquiFoalingKit fit into a clear-sided plastic box with a 2 snap lid and carry handle, to keep items clean, dry and organized. Nearly all items have been unwrapped and readied for quick use, bandages rolled, batteries installed, excess packaging removed. She prefers the plastic carry case, which is smooth and clear-sided, because she feels that canvas-style or cloth carry bags used to 'sack' equine medical supplies can be good hosts for the development of mold spores, particularly when stored in a barn. The EquiFoalingKit's non-porous surface can be wiped clean and it resists water and dust.
"I ask that you carefully consider this EquiFoalingKit as a meaningful and prudent choice for yourself or another horse owner. Easy to carry from the house to barn or pasture, this would make a wonderful gift for that significant other or simply for yourself. Foaling time is not far away, so be prepared!"
Guarantee / Return Policy
Your satisfaction is guaranteed! All sales of the EquiFoalingKit have a 14 day return privilege.
We try to describe and image out items as accurately as possible, but because of the limitations of the internet, we understand that it is difficult for you to determine the condition or nature of some items. WE WANT YOU TO BE HAPPY WITH YOUR PURCHASE!
You may return this item FOR ANY REASON, as long as the items have not been materially changed or modified, within 14 days of receipt. We will refund payment minus postage.
We would love to hear from you if you have any questions or comments about the EquiFoalingKit. Please use the CONTACT US link on the left side of this page.