First Aid Kit Contents
Contents of EquiKit Deluxe
- Optional plastic carrying case
- Triple antibiotic ointment - 1oz (28.4 gm) tube. Neomycin and Polymyxin B Sulfates and Bacitracin Zinc.
- My own Herbal Healing Salve (all Organic Ingredients): Beeswax, olive oil, calendula, chamomile, comfrey, echinacea, chickweed, thyme, tea tree oil, and naturally acquired Vitamin E.*Good for both horse and rider! She grows her own herbs/medicinals.
- Sterile Saline - 12 oz. (12.4 oz.
) ‘squeezer bottle’ for wound or eye irrigation. UK
- Duck tape roll for making hoof bandage or pressure wrap in severe bleeding.
- Epsom salt - 1 lb. (.45 kg) container for soaking hoof abscess/infections.
- Povidone Iodine Solution -1 ea. 4 oz. 'squeezer bottles' for cleaning wounds, skin infections.
- Artificial Tears - 15ml. for eye application.
- 2 Absorbine Jr. Liniment Patches - 5 1/2” x 4” (14 x 10 cm.) self-adhesive patches for tendon strains, pain relief after cold hose. Lasts 8 hours, bends and flexes as horse moves, and is not greasy or smelly. Contains Menthol, Camphor, and Eucalyptus.
- 'Wet Ones' travel pack – 15 large, thick & strong antibacterial, moist towelettes with soothing Aloe.
- Shapley’s MTG multipurpose skin treatment - 6oz. - for rain rot, scratches, bug bites, girth itch, promote hair growth, chewed tails, etc.
- Silver, horse-sized, Emergency Blanket - 52” x 84” (1.32 meter x 2.1 meter).
- 2 clean, white, 100% cotton, shop-size towels.
- 2 blue, Polo Wraps; 'one size fits all', cloth (280 gm. fleece) with Velcro, closure track bandages. Easy to use and adjust.
- 2 washable, full-size fluffy leg quilts for use with track bandages.
- 2 - 4” (10.2 cm.) rolls Syr-Vet cohesive flexible bandages; 4" x 5 yds. (10.2 cm x 4.6 meter). Self-adhesive, lightweight compression and breathable with 8 lb. (3.6 kg.) tensile strength.
- 10 absorbent gauze pads.
- 5 large, non-stick, sterile, highly absorbent and hospital-grade, Telfa-type pads.
- 3 pair vinyl gloves ('fits all').
- 12 foot (3.7 meter), strong but supple, utility boat-type rope for quick halter, tie, etc. Will not unravel.
- Quick link-type snap-hook for use with the utility rope.
- Scissors (stainless blades, cushion handle for right or left-handed person).
- Tweezers (stainless).
- Jointed pliers/heavy wire cutter all in one (or one of each).
- Flashlight with 2, fresh, AA batteries installed.
- Hoof pick with rubber coated handle
- Stethoscope - good quality; seamless brass tubes which are nickel-chromium plated with very good sound amplification for heart rate, lung and gut sound determination, etc.
- Thermometer - 5 inch (12.7 cm.), heavy duty veterinarian-quality & case w/ clip, ring top, Celsius & Fahrenheit.
- String to be used with the Thermometer.
- Instant Ice Pack for one time use
- Tourniquet for Emergency Bleeding Control ONLY.
- Note Pad
- Pen and pencil.
- 'Horsekeeping Reference Guide'
- AAEP Publications (American Assoc. of Equine Practitioners)
- Reference/Instruction sheets on: "Absorbine Jr.", "Shapley's MTG", "Herbal Healing Salve", "Techni-Ice HDR".
"Colic: Minimizing it's Incidence and Impact on Your Horse."
"Guidelines to Follow During Equine Emergencies"
"Lameness Exams: Evaluating the Lame Horse"
"Equine Gastric Ulsers"
"For the Life of Your Horse"
"What to Expect When Owning a Horse"
About the Vet
Dr. Alaire Smith-Miller, D.V.M, of Canton, PA is an active member of the American Association fo Equine Practitioners (AAEP), as well as other professional Veterinary organizations. An avid rider for 30 years, she is a horse owner who works with young horse people in 4H, works closely with a handicapped riding program, has worked for breeding farms, been a 'track Vet' for Thoroughbreds and harness horses and still occasionally travels throughout the US entrusted with pre-purchase veterinary exams. She and her husband currently stand their registered stallion, Zelos, at their farm for very limited breedings. She enjoys working with weanlings and has been blessed to have spent valuable time with Ray Hunt.
All this, and 17 years of clinical experience, I feel, make her extremely qualified to determine what horse owners need to have on hand to help keep their horses healthy and/or treat them until a vet can arrive.
Dr. Smith has put together this rather complete, basic farm first aid medical kit. Many years of practical experience tell her these items would be, at a minimum, essential items to have on hand for an emergency or everyday minor bump, cut or condition.
"There are very important reasons I have chosen the items contained within the EquiKit. Easily carried from house to barn, barn to pasture, or to have on hand in your horse trailer, it has been designed to grab at a moments notice to carry to your horse in need, without having to take the time to think if you 'have everything'. The EquiKit is more than merely a collection of bandaging materials, a thermometer and wraps. I have taken careful retrospective looks at the emergencies that I have treated over the years, consulted with colleague equine veterinarians who are also horse owners and/or riders and used this information to carefully tailor the medical supplies on the EquiKit."
"I recommend use of a clear-sided carry case with snap on lid and handle so that medical supplies can be readily identified and retieved when you need them in a hurry. Also, just a quick look can help you identify what you might need to restock in the EquiKit. They are easy to clean, with a snap on lid and carry handle, to keep items clean, dry and organized. The carry handle allows you to maintain a firm grip with one hand and manage the phone or other needed items with your free hand." (The case is optional. We can supply or you may purchase locally, saving on shipping costs.)
"The EquiKit is to aid you in helping your horse while you wait for your vet to come. I have been on many, many horse emergencies over the past 17 years. On occasion, I found that the horse owner did not have much in the way of medical supplies put together. Things would have gone smoother for all involved if a thoughtful collection medical supplies had been on hand and the client had a basic strategy and paln ready to implement before I had arrived."
"Most importantly, become even more acquainted with horse health issues and how to recognize them. Also, get to know your horses' normal patterns and behaviors. Practice how to do health care tasks like treating a wound, taking a temp and pulse, or applying a leg wrap BEFORE a crisis happens. The very best way to increase your knowledge base is to continue to read the horse health care literature, review my "Horse Keeping Reference Guide" contained in the EquiKit, and consult and partner with your own veterinarian."
"Having a plan with some practice and keeping on hand an equine medical kit like the EquiKit will help you keep your cool in an emergency and better help your horse prior to the arrival of your veterinarian. Found in the EquiKit is my "Horse Keeping Reference Guide", which I compiled and wrote after many, many years of treating horse emergencies. It is simply a clear and concise guide about horse and rider's hands-on horse care. My guide will give you the information you need to effectively use all of the items in the EquiKit."
Here is a quick chronicle of the items with expiration dates in the EquiKit:
- Normal Saline
- Wet Ones
- Povidone Iodine
- Epsom Salts
- Artificial Tears
- Triple Antibiotic Ointment
- Telfa Pads
- Abosrbine Jr. Patches
They will all be good for at least a year from your purchase date, some longer.
All other contents are purchased and supplied to the EquiKit fresh, such as the Latex Nitrile Exam Gloves, Gauze Pads, batteries for the flashlight, and including the SyrVet Cohesive bandages (this is important because these contain a natural rubber latex product and can breakdown over time and not be as useful). Dr. Smith makes small, fresh batches of her Herbal Healing Salve for use in the kits and this will have a shelf life of 2 years.
Nearly all items have been unwrapped and readied for quick use, bandages properly rolled, batteries installed, excess packaging removed.
Please note that when you pruchase the EQUIKIT "DELUXE", you WILL receive all of the medical supplies as listed aboe, but on occasion, due to packaging and design changes by my vendors, some items may have slightly different packaging, shape, or color than those items seen in the photos.
Guarantee - Return Policy
Your satisfaction is guaranteed! All sales of the EquiKit have a 14 day return privilege.
We try to describe and image out items as accurately as possible, but because of the limitations of the internet, we understand that it is difficult for you to determine the condition or nature of some items. WE WANT YOU TO BE HAPPY WITH YOUR PURCHASE!
You may return this item FOR ANY REASON, as long as the items have not been materially changed or modified, within 14 days of receipt. We will refund payment minus postage.
We would love to hear from you if you have any questions or comments about the EquiKit. Please use the CONTACT US link on the left side of this page.
Brooksville, FL 34601
Phone: 352 232-1645
Toll Free: None
ALL ITEMS ON THIS SITE ARE CUSTOM ORDERED. Please allow sufficient time for preparation & shipment (2-6 WEEKS, depending on the item.) Please contact me for expediting info.
© Copyright 2018 - Uniquely Equine